Travel Grant Program Description and Guidelines
The UU Partner Church Council is pleased to solicit your grant applications for its Cathy Cordes Travel Grant Program. The fund supports travel that furthers the mission and vision of the UUPCC. The purpose of these grants is to serve as a catalyst for travel and programs that would otherwise not occur and which will make a difference in the lives of the individuals and their congregational partnerships. Recipients are encourage to write, preach or otherwise broadcast to the wider community the benefits and value of the UU Partner Church movement.
The application process is open to all qualified individuals and congregations both overseas and here in North America. There will be two funding rounds per year. Deadlines for applications for the two cycles are March 15 and October 15. The awards are capped at $500 each per grant. Only one grant will be awarded to a church group regardless of how many people are traveling. If two or more people are traveling from overseas to the US or Canada, only one $500 grant will be awarded. And if a person is traveling to the US or Canada and will visit more than one church, only one $500 grant will be awarded for their travel.
Reviewers apply the following criteria to evaluate proposals:
- Requests for travel from overseas to North American partners. The costs are approximately the same for travel either way, but in general the overseas applicants have less ability to pay.
- First visits or very infrequent visits between congregations, or first visits one-way.
- Visits that coincide with a special event. (Example: church dedication, General Assembly, Community Capacity Building workshop, installation of minister, etc.)
- Trips that are organized to strengthen the congregational partnership. (How much time will the person/s spend with the partner congregation? Special religious services planned during the visit?)
- First time travel grants for this partnership.
- Youth and young adults--Partnership needs to a steady stream of youth and young adults to stay vital and strong.
- North American partner church is supporting applicant's pilgrimage with funds.
Distribution and Examples
Grant money will be sent to grant recipients after the grant has been awarded and the grantee has sent a request for disbursement with attached expense receipts. Recipients are asked to submit a short summary of their travel once it is completed.
All applicants meeting the criteria will be considered by the UUPCC Pilgrimage Committee. Should there be more applicants than available awards, applicants will be prioritized by a vote of the members of the UUPCC Pilgrimage Committee.
Examples of applications received include youth leadership travel to connect with youth, ministerial sabbatical travel that will enhance partnership, support for community capacity building programs, visits from overseas travelers to enhance the connection between congregations, and youth volunteers to work in schools, camps or orphanages associated with UUs overseas.
The application process is open to all qualified individuals and congregations both overseas and here in North America. There will be two funding rounds per year. Deadlines for proposals for the two cycles are March 15 and October 15. Please fill out the application online and email it to office at uupcc.org or print and mail to UUPCC, 483 E. Lockwood Ave., Suite 109, St. Louis, MO 63110. Applications must be postmarked or received by the deadline to be considered. Applicants are encouraged to address the evaluation criteria in their narrative description.