New Start Weekends & Partnership ReFresh Weekends
Does this sound familiar?
- Your congregation has just agreed to a partnership with a UU congregation in the Philippines or another country. But what do we do after we say HELLO?
- Or, maybe your partnership has been around for years and wants to explore "Partnership" further and deeper, and find some fresh energy.
- Or, maybe your partnership has been around for years but the people who used to be the main contacts are gone.
- Or, you and your partner church have both had a change of ministry and you feel the need to renew your covenant and refresh your connections.
The UU Partner Church Council is happy to announce a new program for you and your congregation. A team from UUPCC will visit your church for a weekend and provide a worship service, a leadership meeting, and other events of your choosing. Read more to see how it works.
How Does it Work?
Your church contacts the UUPCC office by phone or email to let us know you are interested. We will interview you to establish a date that works in your church calendar and to design a program that fits the needs of your congregation. A two-person team from UUPCC spends the weekend at your church with a variety of activities to meet your needs.
How much does it Cost?
The UUPCC will pay for its team's travel costs. The new start congregation will provide home hospitality for the team and local transportation. The congregation is also expected to pay its customary honorarium for leading a service to the UUPCC. An added plus is a Sunday collection to support the work of UUPCC, but we know that is not always a possibility.
What are the Goals?
Goals of New Start Weekend:
1. Help a congregation new in partnership learn about Partnership and how to develop a
2. Develop clear understanding of hopes and expectations for partnership so the congregation
3. Help a congregation new to partnership avoid the pitfalls that frequently occur in new partnerships and instead help the partnership get off to a strong start. Can help with creating a partership that is mutually beneficial, responsibly sustained, and linked by joint and mutual covenants; can engage in creating a covenant or agreement with their partner congregation.
Goal of the Partnership ReFresh:
To help a congregation deepen the Partnership experience, develop new insights into multi-cultural relationships.
refresh and re-energize a partnership which has grown stagnant, distant or inactive.
What happens on the weekend?
We have some core elements to make either a New Start or a ReFresh weekend successful.
- Leadership meeting (3-4 hours)—Participants determined in dialogue between UUPCC Partnership ReFresh or Start-up team leader and ministerial and/or lay partnership leadership from congregation. Meeting includes focus on Partnership (with a capital P)—i.e., mutual partnership; top rewards and challenges of partnership; inspiring stories; multicultural competencies; communication with partners; dealing with money; RE and youth involvement; travel; and UUPCC resources.
- Worship service(s) focused on partnership—Should include a children/youth component. Ideally will also include either pre-recorded or live contact with partner congregation via the internet.
- Activities with children and/or youth—Integrating children and youth into the partnership is very important for the partnership's long-term success. We will work with the minister, lay partnership leaders, and/or RE staff to figure out how best to involve children and youth in the Partnership Start-up or ReFresh weekend besides during the worship service(s).
There are optional elements that can be included as well:
- Friday evening social activity (e.g., potluck supper, dessert) with partnership folks (or perhaps wider group)
- Multicultural competencies workshop (75 minutes)
- Community Capacity Building workshop (90 minutes)
- Involving children and/or youth workshop (75-90 minutes)
- Attending RE classes and/or youth group
At the end of the weekend there is a wrap-up meeting with the partnership leadership and minister(s) and a plan for next steps.
Want to get started?
Give us a call at 314-918-2618 or send us an email: email@example.com